Woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria

Posted at 7:17 AM, May 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-11 07:17:01-04

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (WRTV/CNN) - A woman has died after contracting an infection during a vacation.

In February, 50-year-old Carol Martin was vacationing in Florida.

Her husband, Richard Martin, suspects she might have gotten the infection in Clearwater, FL, he told WFLA.

A week later, an infection the size of a nickel appeared on her buttocks, an image too gruesome to show. She sought treatment at St. Francis Hospital.

"They sent her home with more antibiotics and heating pad and it got worse," said her husband, Richard Martin.

It took three hospital visits for doctors to realize it was necrotizing fasciitis.

"In the emergency room, they said, 'We are sorry but she has a flesh-eating bacteria, we have to rush her to surgery right now,'" Martin said.

Doctors finally sent her home after two major surgeries and 16 days in the ICU.

"She made me lunch, I kissed her goodbye to go to work. I come home early in the morning and found her passed away," Martin said.

She died Saturday morning, leaving a husband distraught and children shaken.

"We should have the answers and know why this went where it did," Martin said.

Londyn Parish won't stop wearing her grandma's glasses.

“And now, she's going to see none of her growing up," Martin said.

Franciscan Health said they cannot provide any details about the patients care.

The Marion County coroner said they are collecting tissue samples and analyzing the infected area to determine if that was a contributing cause of death.

That could take up to 12 weeks to get back from the lab.  

Copyright 2018 WRTV via CNN. All rights reserved. Raycom News Network contributed to this report.