SCORE: #11 Valdosta State 129, Brewton-Parker 81
RECORDS: Valdosta State 5-0, Brewton-Parker 1-4
LOCATION: Valdosta, Ga. (The Complex)
THE LEAD: Behind a career-high nine triples and 27 points from senior Winston Morgan, the No. 11 Valdosta State men's basketball team dominated Brewton-Parker Monday evening, 129-81. VSU shot 55.3 percent for game, had five players in double-figures and scored over 120 points in back-to-back games for the first time in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- VSU never trailed in the game as a triple from senior Beau Justice ignited a 24-8 run for a 26-10 lead on a dunk from junior Bryce Smith with 13:11 left in the first half.
- Junior Darrell Jones scored in the paint for a 46-26 lead with 5:15 left and the largest lead of the half to that point at 20 points.
- Smith scored in the closing seconds of the half for a 65-35 lead and Morgan buried his fifth triple of the first half at the buzzer for a 68-37 lead.
- Two free throws from junior Goree Venable pushed the lead over 40 points with 13:49 left and a 90-49 score.
- Jones scored a layup for a 44-point lead at 101-57 with 10:27 left as VSU hit over 100 points in back-to-back games.
- Senior Tyler Johnson buried a triple with 46 seconds left for a 129-81 score, surpassing the 127 points VSU scored against Albany State last Thursday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- VSU shot 55.8 from the field in the first half on 24 of 43, while going 8 of 18 from beyond the arc and 12 of 13 from the line.
- The Blazers had 25 rebounds in the first half and ten on the offensive end. VSU forced 11 turnovers and held a 15-0 lead in points off turnovers as the Blazers committed just three miscues in the opening frame.
- Morgan had 15 points on the five triples, while Jones had 12 points and four rebounds in the opening half.
- For the game, VSU shot 55.3 percent on 47 of 85, while going a season-high 19 of 40 from beyond the arc for 47.5 percent. VSU was 16 of 18 from the line, while pulling down 47 rebounds, including 21 on the offensive end.
- Morgan was 9 of 16 from the field – all triples for 27 points and added four rebounds leading five players in double figures, including four starters.
- Jones had 16 points and eight rebounds, while Smith added a career-high 16 points off the bench on 8 of 11 from the field.
- Venable pulled down a career-high 12 rebounds and missed a double-double by one field goal with eight points.
- Brewton-Parker shot 50.8 percent on 33 of 65, while going 7 of 19 from beyond the arc and 8 of 12 from the line.
- Michael Volley had a team-high 22 points for the Barons on 9 of 14 from the field with two triples and two free throws.
- VSU has the rest of the week off for the Thanksgiving Holiday, before opening the 2018-19 Gulf South Conference slate at The Complex a week from Thursday against Union University at 8 p.m.