TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Seminoles.com) — Shortstop Nander De Sedas hit a walk-off two-run home run to give Florida State (14-9, 9-8 ACC) a 4-2 win over North Carolina (14-11, 9-8) Saturday afternoon at Dick Howser Stadium. It was FSU’s first walk-off home run since Reese Albert hit one against NC State late in the 2018 season.
De Sedas’s third home run of the season came on an 0-1 pitch from Nik Pry (1-2) and was dropped into FSU’s bullpen in left field. De Sedas’s first career walk-off was a double against UNF as a freshman in 2019.
Davis Hare (1-0) earned the win for the Noles as the last of five relief pitchers. FSU’s bullpen allowed just two hits and no runs in 5.1 innings.
Florida State jumped on North Carolina with Robby Martin’s two-run home run in the first inning off Max Alba. Martin’s 345-foot home run was his sixth of the season and followed Logan Lacey getting hit by a pitch in the helmet.
Vince Smith doubled to start the third inning, followed by a Tyler Martin single. With one out, UNC went to the bullpen for Gage Gillian, who struck out Robby Martin and Mat Nelson to end the threat.
In the fourth, Danny Serretti led off with a double before Caleb Roberts’ two-run home run off Bryce Hubbart tied the game. Hubbart struck out four in 3.2 innings, while Alba struck out three in 2.1 innings.
North Carolina threatened to take the lead in the sixth, loading the bases on a single, walk and hit by pitch before Wyatt Crowell struck out Angel Zarate to end the frame and keep the score 2-2.
Gillian, Shawn Rapp, Michael Oh and Connor Ollio kept FSU at bay for 5.2 innings, surrendering just two hits, a walk and a hit batter while striking out nine before Pry came out to start the ninth inning.
Tyler Ahearn, Crowell, Chase Haney, Jonah Scolaro and Hare combined to keep UNC scoreless for 5.1 innings after Roberts’ home run.
In the ninth, North Carolina leadoff hitter Justice Thompson singled to start the inning and Roberts drew a two-out intentional walk before Hare came in and struck out Tomas Frick to keep the score tied.
For the Noles, Crowell lined a one-out single to left field for his second hit in as many at-bats. De Sedas’s walk-off home run evened the series and sets up Sunday’s rubber match, set for 12:00 p.m. on the ACC Network.
- Robby Martin hit his sixth home run of the season, a two-run shot in the first inning that traveled 345 feet. Martin hit four home runs over his first two seasons at Florida State.
- Before Martin’s home run, Logan Lacey was hit by a pitch for the third time this season. Lacey extended his on-base streak to a career-high 10 games.
- Martin entered Saturday third in the Atlantic Coast Conference with 27 RBI, two behind leader Luke Gold. His 97 career RBI are tied with Reese Albert for the most on the team.
- Vince Smith doubled to start the third inning, the third of his career. Tyler Martin followed with a single, the 36th time in 37 career starts he has reached base safely. Martin has reached base safely in a career-high 17 straight games.
- Wyatt Crowell pitched in the seventh inning and stayed in the game as DH, hitting a double and single in two at-bats. He also has three doubles on the season.
- Chase Haney pitched for the second time this series, pushing his career games to 123. He ranks third in school history in pitching appearances, four behind No. 2 Daniel Hodges (127) and 13 behind No. 1 Kevin Lynch (136).
- Mat Nelson was hit by a pitch for the 29th time in his career, tied with Elijah Cabell for the most among active Seminoles.
- Nander De Sedas’s walk-off home run was FSU’s second walk-off of the season. Reese Albert drew a bases loaded walk to beat UCF, 6-5, in 10 innings on March 24. De Sedas had a walk-off double as a freshman against UNF on March 6, 2019.