TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL)--We've been reporting on the rise in criminal activity in the Jackson Bluff area. One way the Tallahassee Police Department has mentioned in the fight against crime is by signing up for a free home security survey.
They will look at ways you can improve your home or business to prevent burglars from getting in.
Officers don't want anyone to become a victim of burglary.
A crime prevention practitioner will walk around and look at what you have in place. They tell you what you can improve upon around your home. It's a short survey. It takes about 45 minutes to complete.
If you want one of these homes surveys done, you can call (850) 891-4251.
Here are some more tips from the Tallahassee Police on protecting your property from burglars:
• LIGHTING GIVES THE MOST BANG FOR EACH DOLLAR SPENT ON HOME SECURITY.
• PORCH LIGHTS SHOULD BE ON AT NIGHT AND OFF DURING THE DAY.
• USE LIGHTS TO MAKE THE INSIDE OF YOUR HOME LOOK OCCUPIED.
• CONNECT INTERIOR LIGHTS TO TIMERS AND HAVE THEM SET FOR VARIOUS TIMES.
• LEAVE A TV OR RADIO ON.
• UPGRADE YOUR DOOR’S INTEGRITY WITH SINGLE OR DOUBLE CYLINDER DEADBOLT
• INSTALL 3-INCH SCREWS IN ALL DOOR FRAMES AT THE HINGES AND STRIKE PLATES.
• SOLID DOORS SHOULD HAVE A WIDE ANGLE VIEWER (180o MINIMUM).
• INSTALL A “CHARLIE BAR” ON SLIDING GLASS DOORS.
• TAKE UP SLACK IN THE UPPER TRACK OF SLIDING GLASS DOORS BY INSTALLING TWO PAN
• INSTALL “ANTI-SLIDE” LOCKS ON THE METAL FRAMES OF SLIDING WINDOWS.
• TAKE UP SLACK IN THE UPPER TRACK OF SLIDING WINDOWS BY INSTALLING TWO PAN
• TRIM ALL TREES, SHRUBBERY, AND BUSHES USING THE 2 TO 10 FEET RULE.
BY TRIMMING SHRUBBERY AND BUSHES NO HIGHER THAN 2 FEET AND TREES FROM 10 FEET DOWN, A “WINDOW OF NATURAL OBSERVATION” IS MAINTAINED.
• CRIMINALS LIKE HOMES THAT ARE CONCEALED BY LANDSCAPING.
LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER:
• GET TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBORS.
• CALL THE POLICE AND REPORT SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE AND VEHICLES.
• IF YOU DON’T HAVE ONE, START A NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH GROUP; CONTACT A CRIME PREVENTION OFFICER FOR DETAILS.