(WTXL) — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about several hand sanitizer products that have been found to contain wood alcohol, which can potentially be fatal when ingested or absorbed through the skin.
In a statement released on June 19, the FDA said that hand sanitizer products manufactured by EskBiochem SA de CV in Mexico should not be used.
The FDA said that the nine products in question contain methanol, or wood alcohol, which can be fatal when absorbed through the skin or ingested. Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.
While anyone who puts methanol on their hands is at risk, officials say young children who accidentally ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning.
"Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects," the FDA wrote in their statement.
On June 17, the FDA said they contacted Eskbiochem to recommend that they remove its hand sanitizer products from the market. However, to date, the company has not taken action to remove the products from the market.
FDA identified the products below that are manufactured by Eskbiochem. To keep hands clean, wash with soap & water for at least 20 seconds. If soap & water are not readily available, @CDCgov recommends using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% ethanol. pic.twitter.com/xpZ9UZQAsx— FDA Drug Information (@FDA_Drug_Info) June 19, 2020
Those who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should call 911 and seek immediate care. If you have any of the products listed below, the FDA recommends that you immediately stop using them and throw them away.
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)