VALDOSTA, Ga. (WTXL)--The Lowndes County sheriff is offering tips on how to stay safe when using Craigslist.
They say they have received reports recently of people being scammed on the web site.
Sheriff Chris Prine says a recent scam involved employment in the Valdosta area.
When the resident responded to the ad, they were instructed to wire money to purchase training materials.
Here are some tips to protect yourself:
- First, deputies say you should insist on meeting at a public location, like a local law enforcement office.
- They also say never to meet anyone alone and do not invite strangers into your home.
- You should also never wire or transfer money to a person without meeting them first
- Be wary of checks or money orders sent to you as payment for an item the buyer has never seen.
- Finally, trust your instincts. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.