NewsLocal News


UPDATE: Trial delayed for woman accused of murdering FAMU basketball player

Starquineshia Palmer
Posted at 5:30 PM, Jul 10, 2013
and last updated 2014-04-10 10:44:44-04

UPDATE (July 10, 2013 - 4:28 P.M.)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) -- A continuance has been issued for the trial against Starquineshia Palmer. A case management hearing is scheduled for August. 


TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) -- Opening arguments are scheduled for July 10 in the trial against Starquineshia Palmer. She allegedly admitted to murdering her long-time girlfriend, and FAMU women's basketball player, Shannon Washington.

A six-person jury was selected Monday to hear the case starting Wednesday.

Palmer, 22, is charged with First Degree Murder.

According to a Probable Cause report released to WTXL, Palmer and Washington, 20 at the time, had been dating for approximately 3 years.

On September 4, 2011, investigators say Palmer and Washington had gotten into an altercation around 2:00 a.m. At University Courtyard Apartments located at 3025 South Adams Street. Investigators say at some point the argument escalated and Washington was stabbed in the neck and back with a kitchen knife. Washington was pronounced dead by the time she was taken to a local hospital about 30 minutes later.

WTXL-ABC27 will provide coverage of the trial beginning Wednesday on air and online at


(Story air date: September 7, 2011)


Provided by Tallahassee Police Department

"On 9/4/11 at 2:03 a.m., I responded to University Courtyard Apartments at 3025 S. Adams St. Apt # 132 in reference to a female being stabbed. Building 1 is the northwest corner of the complex and apartment # 132 is in the right rear corner of the third floor.

Sgt. J. Laursen # 244 arrived first on scene and made contact with the arrestee, Starquineshia Palmer, outside the building near the first floor breezeway. Sgt. Laursen stated that Palmer was screaming loudly "I did it! I did it! I killed her!...Just take me to jail." Sgt. Laursen then escorted Palmer back upstairs to the incident location and detained her in handcuffs once inside.

Sgt. Laursen observed the victim/deceased, Shannon Washington, lying on the bedroom floor next to the bed with a large amount of blood around her. Sgt. Laursen also observed blood splatter on the walls and bed. At that time, witnesses and roommates were performing CPR on Washington. Sgt. Larusen stated that Palmer became very erratic and he began to escort her outside where I made contact with him and took custody of Palmer. EMS arrived on scene and transported Washington to the hospital in emergency mode. Once at the hospital, Dr. Askabar pronounced Washington deceased at 2:33 a.m.

As I escorted Palmer from the apartment to a patrol vehicle, Palmer continued to yell and make spontaneous statements "I did it! I did it! Charge me with everything!" Palmer was placed into vehicle #790 where all statements and interactions with her were recorded via the vehicle's MAVRIC system. During this time, I read Palmer her Miranda Rights in which she waived her rights. Palmer was then transported to the Tallahassee Police Department for an interview.

Once at the department, Palmer provided homicide Inv. S. Beck a full confession. Palmer described the following incident. Palmer state that her and Washington had been arguing and having physical altercations all day. Palmer stated that she and Washington were take a bath together, when once again they began to argue and it resulted in Washington trying to choke her by the neck.

Palmer stated that she was able to push Washington away from her and exit the tub. Palmer stated that she got dressed as quickly as possible but that Washington had followed her in the bedroom and the altercation continued including Washington choker her once more on the bed.

Palmer stated she left the bedroom and went into the kitchen and retrieved a knife. Palmer stated she then entered back into the bedroom while hiding the knife behind her back. She stated that one of the roommates observed the knife and told her to put it down. Once inside the bedroom, she stated that she and Washington continued to argue and that Washington kept putting her hands on her. Palmer stated she called her mother and said "sorry. Take care of my kids." Palmer stated that Washington kept antagonizing her and stating "if you gonna do it, just do it. Both of us are going to die tonight." Palmer stated that at that time Washington dropped to her knees in front of her and stated "you don't care about your kids."

Palmer stated "that set me off and that's when I stabbed her in the neck." She stated Washington then fell forward towards her and then she stabbed her once more in the back. She stated after she stabbed her she stated "I'm just fed up. This is for what you put me through."

After she stabbed Washington, Palmer called her mother back and told her what she had done.

The knife used was located on scene by officers in the incident bedroom lying on the floor next to the dresser. The knife was described as a generic black plastic handled kitchen steak knife with an approximate 5-inch blade.

Palmer and Washington had been dating for approximately 3 years and had lived together previously. Palmer stated they were currently making plans to live together in Tallahassee.

Palmer was arrested and charged with the murder of Washington and transported to the Leon County Jail without further incident."