TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — The combination of gusty winds, warm temperatures and ongoing drought conditions has once again led the National Weather Service to issue a Red Flag Warning across the Big Bend area because of dangerous fire conditions.
We saw what these days can do last week and, once again, Madison County and westward counties are under Red Flag Warnings for the dry, windy weather. Fires can spread rapidly, so outdoor burning is not recommended.
Just last week we saw similar conditions with large fires across the Panhandle and through parts of the Big Bend area. Aside from not starting up the BBQ grill, here are a few safety tips:
- Do not light fires outside
- Do not mow dry grass or vegetation
- Do not throw lit cigarettes out your window if driving
- Target shoot only in approved areas
- Go outside and clear dead weeds
We should see more conductive conditions for burning later in the week, if you do have to do any.