SUWANNEE COUNTY, Fla. — Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has directed flags to fly at half-staff around Suwannee County and at the State Capitol in honor of Public Safety Director James Sommers.
Gov. DeSantis has directed flags to be flown at half-staff at the Suwannee County Courthouse in Live Oak, the City Hall of Live Oak and the State Capitol in Tallahassee until sunset on Tuesday.
Sommers died in a motorcycle crash last week in Lake City on Highway 90.
His funeral service is set for Tuesday at Christ Central Ministries beginning at 10:00 a.m.
And due to a large memorial service for Sommers, the following roads will be closed to through traffic tentatively between 1:30 pm until 5 pm:
- Winderweedle St. from US 129, west to Houston Ave.
- Houston Ave. from the intersection of Winderweedle St., south to Duval St. (Nobles Ferry and Winderweedle St. west of Houston Ave. will be open to through traffic)
- Brown Ave. @ Winderweedle St.
- Broome Ave. @ Winderweedle St.
Barricades will be placed at the following intersections on Houston Ave.:
- Houston Ave. @ King St. (both sides of Houston Ave.)
- Houston Ave. @ 1st St. (both sides of Houston Ave.)
- Houston Ave. @ 2nd St. (both sides of Houston Ave)
- Houston Ave. @ Duval St. should be taken care of by Fire Trucks etc.
Barricades will be placed at the following intersections on Winderweedle St.:
- US 129 @ Winderweedle St. (off to the side until after the funeral procession)
- Winderweedle St. @ Brown Ave
- Winderweedle St. @ Broome Ave.