GEORGIA (WTXL) — Georgia’s Department of Driver Services, the state agency responsible for issuing driver’s licenses, will close statewide Thursday through Monday for a major systems upgrade.
Georgia's DDS will transition to a new, more secure licensing system, DRIVES, on January 19, 2021.
All physical DDS locations, online services, and DDS 2 Go mobile app will shut down as it overhauls its information technology systems.
During the closure, customers will not be able to renew their driver’s licenses or ID cards.
The department plans to reopen Tuesday after observing the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
After January 18, 2021, you will be prompted to recreate your Online Services and DDS2Go mobile app accounts to securely view your license, ID, or permit status and receive real-time updates.
The system update is likely to cause service delays when the DDS reopens, and the organization is asking Georgians to be patient as it adjusts to the updated technology.
The department encourages customers to make appointments online at dds.georgia.gov and to check its website before visiting. Customers are also encouraged to re-establish their online accounts with the new system.
The DDS also shared several tips customers can follow to help get better service:
- Will these upgrades impact my license?
- Your license will not be impacted by these changes.
- Due to enhanced security features, after January 18, 2021, you will be prompted to recreate your Online Services and DDS2GO mobile app accounts to securely view your license, ID, or permit status and receive real-time updates.
- What applications will be impacted by these enhancements?
- To provide better service, all DDS Applications are being upgraded including our DDS Online Services, and the DDS 2 GO mobile app.
- Can I still make appointments?
- Yes. All customers will still be required to fill out the Online License/ID/Permit form and schedule an appointment.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you have submitted an Online License/ID/Permit form, that form will only be available for use until January 13, 2021. Please visit a Customer Service Center on or prior to January 13, 2021, to complete your transaction.
- If you plan on scheduling a Road Test appointment (automobile skills test or motorcycle skills test) on or after April 1, 2021, you will need to wait until after January 18, 2021, to schedule that appointment. The Appointment Scheduling System is only allowing road test appointments prior to April 1, 2021. After the upgrade, you will be allowed to schedule these appointments.