NewsLocal News

Actions

Former FDOH data analyst Rebekah Jones drops civil lawsuit against FDLE

wptv-Rebekah-Jones.jpg
Posted at 12:11 PM, Feb 09, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-09 12:11:58-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Former Florida Department of Health data analyst Rebekah Jones is dropping a lawsuit alleging that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement violated her rights when they searched her home and seized her computer equipment in December.

Last week, Jones’ attorneys filed a notice that said she was dismissing the lawsuit “without prejudice,” which means it could be filed again.

The criminal case against Jones is separate from the civil case.

Jones made national headlines in May when she went public with accusations that FDOH fired her when she said, she was asked but refused to manipulate COVID case numbers around the same time Governor DeSantis announced plans to reopen businesses in the state.

According to a complaint document obtained by ABC 27, Jones is facing a single felony property crimes charge for allegedly accessing a computer network or electronic device without authorization after someone breached state systems in November, sending messages to state employees urging them to speak out.

Jones claims that the current warrant didn't stem from evidence FDLE sought during the search of her home in early December.

However, based on the evidence collected from her home, agents found probable cause to charge Jones for unauthorized computer access.