ALACHUA COUNTY, FL (RNN) - If not for the quick thinking of some humans, a young bald eagle might have died earlier this week.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said via social media that someone spotted a sick bald eagle at a waste facility.
Biologists at the commission captured the poor thing with a net.
They said that the juvenile bald eagle was poisoned, likely by something it ate.
The biologists gave the eagle to the sheriff's department, who took it to a clinic.
The youngster will recuperate at the Eye of the Eagle Wildlife Sanctuary in Newberry, FL, until it is healthy enough to be released into the wild.
If you see a baby animal in the wild, often it doesn't really need the help of humans, the Humane Society of the United States said. However, it might if it exhibits the following signs:
- carried by a cat or dog
- evidence of bleeding
- an apparent or obvious broken limb
- featherless or nearly featherless and on the ground
- a dead parent nearby
- crying and wandering all day long
If you see an animal in distress, the Humane Socity of the United States said it's best to call a professional for help, such as a wildlife rehabilitator, animal shelter, humane society, animal control agency, nature center, state wildlife agency or veterinarian.
Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.