Arrest Made in December Gas Station Murder

Matthew Grey
Posted at 4:27 PM, Apr 01, 2015
and last updated 2015-05-07 08:58:29-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Police have made an arrest in the murder of a man who was gunned down at a Tallahassee gas station.  Matthew Grey was charged with Felony Murder after an investigation into the murder of Anton Davis uncovered a drug deal gone wrong. 

Davis was killed on December 9, 2014 outside of the Marathon Gas Station on South Adams Street after being shot multiple times. When Davis's body was found by police, they said it was surrounded by several small plastic bags, one of which contained marijuana.

Grey had an altercation with Davis during an attempt to purchase marijuana outside of the gas station, said police. Court documents paint a picture of what may have happened prior to Davis's death. 

According to law enforcement, eyewitnesses at the scene saw two men running from the gas station moments after hearing shots.

Police obtained Davis’s phone records; they say that Grey called and texted Davis twelve times the night of the murder. Records show that same phone was shut off after the shooting and was never turned on again.

Based on that information, officers obtained a search warrant for Grey’s home and brought him to the police station for questioning.

During questioning, police say that Grey denied owning the phone or contacting Davis on the night of his murder. However, Grey eventually admitted that the phone was his but said that he did not know where it was, investigators said. 

According the Probable Cause Affidavit, Grey also admitted to police that he had been talking with Davis about buying marijuana but said he ended up going to the hospital with his girlfriend and daughter instead.

Police say they uncovered the surveillance video of Grey’s girlfriend at the emergency room with their daughter, but that Grey was not present and the two left before seeing a doctor.

When the girlfriend was interviewed by police they say she claimed that Grey was not at the hospital. She also told them Grey asked her to drive to their house. 

Documents say that when she went to the house, Grey and the girlfriend's brother were “acting strange and quiet”. She also claimed that her brother threw-up twice in the car leaving their home. 

During a second interview, police say that Grey admitted to lying about going to the hospital.

Investigators say that Grey never explained to them how his phone was tracked to the scene of the crime or why the phone was shut off only minutes after the shooting.

Grey was booked into the Leon County Jail on Monday. As of Wednesday he was still listed in jail and no bond amount was shown.