First Alert Weather

Actions

Wednesday Morning tropics check (09/11/2013)

Western Caribbean disturbance satellite image (11/05/2015)
Posted at 7:41 AM, Sep 11, 2013
and last updated 2014-05-02 08:21:41-04

The active pattern continues in the tropics today with the first hurricane of the season. Hurricane Humberto was upgraded to a Category 1 hurricane as of the 5 am advisory this morning, and currently has winds of 75 mph. Humberto is located about 300 miles WNW of the Cape Verde islands off the northern African coast, and the current forecast track takes it further north and then turns it west to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean by early next week. Humberto is expected to strengthen slightly over the next 48 hours and then slowly weaken before it dissipates next week. It will not be a threat to the United States or any other land.

Tropical Storm Gabrielle weakened slightly overnight, and currently has winds of 50 mph. Gabrielle is forecast to move over an area of warmer waters in the next day or so, where it will strengthen slightly before accelerating northward into the Atlantic Ocean. It is not a threat to the United States.

 There is also a disturbance just east of the Yucatan peninsula that is beginning to show signs of development. It has become better organized overnight, and the National Hurricane Center has given it a 30% chance of development in the next 48 hours and a 70% chance in the next 5 days. Models currently have the disturbance moving east and making landfall in Mexico early next week. It does not appear to be a threat to the United States.