TALLAHASSEE, FLA. (WTXL)--The Tallahassee Fire Department has responded to over 140 structure fires this year.
But say none more tragic than last week's fatal fire on Byington Place.
"It's difficult for our men and women here at the Fire Department when we work calls like that, Jonathan Kimbrel."
Sabal Palm Elementary School Teacher Rajames Scott and her two young daughters died in a fire that started in the kitchen.
Officials say the cause of death was smoke inhalation.
"Even a small fire can produce a lot of smoke and toxic material that spreads around the home ahead of the fire. So if you're sleeping you begin to breath that in long before the fire, Kimbrel."
Smoke is a toxic fume because the fire consumes all of the available oxygen. That is why officials are reiterating the importance of working smoke detectors.
"Smoke detectors dramatically increase the chances of survival during a home fire. They will alert the occupants before the toxic levels increase."
But the smoke alarm isn't the only tool that saves lives. Firefighters recommend you practice how you're going to make it out of the house during a dangerous situation.