3-year-old passes away after alleged abuse by babysitter

Posted at 10:15 PM, Mar 18, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-18 22:15:48-04

A 3-year-old girl whose babysitter is charged with abusing her so severely, she was "brain dead" has passed away, according to her family and the Butler County Sheriff's Office.

Hannah Wesche was pronounced dead about 12:15 a.m. Sunday, her father, Jason Wesche, told FOX19 NOW.

Now, the sitter charged with attacking the toddler, Lindsay Partin, 35, could face upgraded charges, Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones said. 

"We are going to do everything we can to see that justice is done in this case," Jones said in a phone interview Sunday.

Sheriff: 3-year-old abused by babysitter 'hanging on by a thread'

Partin was arrested and charged March 9 with felonious assault and child endangering.  Sheriff's officials have said Partin shook and struck the toddler at Partin's Hanover Township home the morning of March 8.

Partin posted a $30,000 cash bond and was released from the Butler County Jail the same day she was arraigned, on March 12. 

She was indicted on the same charges Thursday but remains out on bond, the jail said early Monday.

Partin, who is due back in court April 9, has not publicly commented.

She called 911 on March 8 and told a Butler County dispatcher Hannah "just passed out" shortly after her father dropped her off about 7 a.m., according to a recording of the call.

"Who's passed out?" the dispatcher asked.

"The little girl. She's 3. She fell pretty bad yesterday and she's been fine and then all of a sudden he dropped her off this morning and she walked in and kind of passed out, she went limp," Partin said.

"Are you with her now?" The dispatcher asked.

"Yes, Hurry she's bad. There's something wrong."

"Is she awake right now?"

"Yes," Partin said, crying. 

First responders found Hannah unresponsive, with labored breathing and obvious bruises about her head and face, according to the sheriff's office.

Hannah was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Hamilton and then flown in critical condition to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in Avondale.

Babysitter indicted for alleged assault of 3-year-old girl

Detectives and hospital personnel noted additional bruising on Hannah's body, according to the sheriff's office.

Partin admitted to striking the toddler and stated she had fallen and struck her head on the concrete garage floor the previous day, sheriff's officials said.

The sheriff said the case underscores the importance of parents knowing who is watching their children.

"Get background checks, talk to neighbors, friends and family members before letting anyone watch your children, know who you are leaving your babies with," he has said.

Copyright WXIX 2018. All rights reserved.