Stun gun used on 'physically aggressive' student

Posted at 10:49 PM, May 08, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-08 22:49:50-04

Police are investigating after a video was posted to social media showing a confrontation between a Colerain Township police officer making an arrest and a bystander capturing it all on camera.

"Chief Mark C. Denney of the Colerain Police Department reports that the Colerain Police Department has learned of a Facebook video that has surfaced of an incident," police said in a prepared statement. 

"The Colerain Police Department has a thorough and detailed process for investigating such incidents and will begin that process immediately."

The video was shot Tuesday afternoon outside Northwest Passage School, which is located in the Spring Hill Shopping Center off Springdale Road.

A school resource officer used a stun gun on a student who was "physically aggressive" toward him, school officials said.

Three people were detained as a result, according to police.

As those arrests were occurring, the clash went down between one of several officers making arrests, according to the video.

The officer is seen on the video and heard calmly and politely warning the woman who is recording them: "Ma'am, back up. Back up."

"I can videotape!" she shrieked back, according to the video.

"You can, but back the f--- up!" He swiftly moved toward her, raising his voice, and the camera abruptly jerked, the video shows.

"What do you mean?" the woman is heard saying on camera, followed by: "Stop hitting me!" 

The officer continued to order her: "Back up!"

"Stop hitting me!" She is heard yelling. "Stop hitting me!"

The officer yelled: "Back up! Back up! Back the f--- up!" as the video ended.

The three people arrested in connection the incident are scheduled to face a judge at 9 a.m. Wednesday:

  • Loraine Warren, 36: Charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and obstructing official business. Police wrote in court records she "prevented officers from making a mass arrest during the course of an emergency." She also "caused a disturbance at the scene of a mass arrest" and "engaged in violent and turbulent behavior." Police said they arrested her because she was, according to court records, "resisting arrest during a mass arrest. (She) refused to cooperate with orders" and was maced as a result.
  • Dalijah Robinson, 18: Charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and obstructing business. She was arrested after "engaging in a physical fight during school hours" and "delaying arresting officer of making arrest," criminal complaints state. She also is accused of "fighting with officers after attempting to be placed under arrest," they wrote.
  • Breasina Thomas, 19: Charged with resisting arrest and obstructing official business. Police said they they took her into custody after she was "resisting arrest of herself as officers attempted to calm down a crowd after an altercation, her criminal complaint reads." She also "was not following orders to disburse when officers were trying to calm down a crowd after an altercation."

Officials with Northwest Local Schools are also addressing the incident, which occurred at their alternate school campus.

Superintendent Todd Bowling released the following statement:

Today, at a NWLSD alternate placement school, Northwest Passage, a student became physically aggressive toward a school resource officer.

As a result of the student’s aggression, the student was tased by the resource officer and local police departments were notified and quickly arrived on site. The Northwest Passage staff’s first course of action was to move other students away from the situation and try to calm the situation.

In the meantime, the aggressive student was moved outside of the building and detained by police.

The officers worked with the staff to calm down student witnesses. While the entire situation was unfortunate and disruptive, the quick action of the staff and officers helped to diffuse the incident. After approximately 10 minutes, the remaining students resumed class as regularly scheduled. Students were released 25 minutes early to allow the staff time to debrief. We are dedicated to the safety of our students and staff.

Copyright 2018 WXIX. All rights reserved.