GREEN BAY, WI (WBAY/CNN) – Some parents are alarmed after they say the school didn't tell them their kids' classmates on the playground were eating marijuana this week.
Green Bay Police confirm the incident and tell us the two students who ate the pot went to the hospital and are fine.
Police say Eisenhower Elementary School staff found two students who had eaten marijuana brought in by a second-grade boy.
"We see marijuana in the high schools and the middle schools, but rarely do we see marijuana in the elementary schools,” said Green Bay Police Lt. Jeff Brester.
Parents of the students involved are being investigated.
But other parents are expressing their anger about the situation. They’re mad because they say they had to hear about the incident from their kids instead of the school district.
“Phone call or letter sent home or an email, something from the school and we haven't heard anything still now, so I'm shocked,” said Carrie Falkner, mother of a 7-year-old Eisenhower student.
The school district representative wouldn’t confirm any of the details about incident. She also wouldn’t discuss policy when it comes to contacting parents after something like this happens. The elementary school handbook says the student in this case would receive a suspension.
There won’t be any charges in the case, because the children are under 12.
“We won't be writing the students tickets because they're not old enough to get tickets. But we will provide counseling for them through child protective services and through the school to do some education with them,” said Lt. Brester.
Falkner believes this should be a teaching moment for all the second graders and their parents, even if they weren't directly involved.
“It doesn't matter if he ate it or not. He was in an environment where he was exposed to it and there was no contact to us as parents,” she said. “You need to have a discussion with your child, like, 'here are some resources that you could use.'"
Copyright 2017 WBAY via CNN. All rights reserved.