Man forgets 5-foot pet snake in hotel room

Posted at 2:25 AM, Oct 25, 2017
and last updated 2017-10-25 02:25:29-04

ASHEVILLE, NC (WLOS/CNN) – A hotel employee found a 5-foot boa constrictor in a bed after the snake’s owner says he forgot his pet in the room.

Neil Miller was terrified when he learned about the snake – but only because he was worried about losing “his son.” The boa constrictor’s owner says he’s had the snake, named Chuck, for three years.

"I've had him since he was 12 inches long, not even a foot maybe,” Miller said.

A housekeeper in Asheville, NC, got a shock Monday afternoon when they went to clean a hotel room and found Chuck half under the covers.

Miller says he went to visit a friend at the hotel but accidentally left his snake behind.

"I went out to meet somebody. I was at their spot. They was at the hotel room. I set him down for two minutes, forgot all about him, walked out,” Miller said.

When Miller got home, he realized Chuck wasn’t in his cage and rushed back to the hotel. He says he’s never lost the snake before, even though he commonly carries him around on his shoulders.

“That's my boy. I was terrified,” Miller said. "I couldn't believe I set him down."

Miller and his son were reunited at the Buncombe County Animal Shelter, where the man draped Chuck on his shoulders like always.

"His temperament is good. I hold him all the time, picking him up. He's going to be fine… It's daddy's boy,” Miller said.

Finally, after a long, adventurous day, Chuck and Miller headed home.

The Asheville Police Department says the snake didn’t injure anyone.

Copyright 2017 WLOS via CNN. All rights reserved.