News

Actions

Man claims he was wrongfully accused for nonexistent home invasion

Posted at 5:48 AM, Aug 27, 2017
and last updated 2017-08-27 05:48:01-04

JACKSONVILLE, FL (WAWS/WFOX/WJAX) – A man in Florida says he’s glad to be alive after he claims he was wrongfully arrested for a crime that didn’t even happen.

Kenneth Myers, 24, had raw emotion in his eyes Wednesday night as he recalled his arrest, an arrest that should never have happened, he says.

"I was scared for my life. Yes, I was,” Myers said. "I had assault rifles pointed at me, and I'm an innocent man."

Myers says he was driving home Aug. 19 when he noticed police following him without any lights on. He then pulled into a gas station and went inside to use the bathroom.

Moments later, Myers says police cleared out the store and banged on the bathroom door.

"I finally come out the restroom, with my hands out, both hands out the door first. I get out. They put me on the ground, put me in handcuffs,” Myers said. "Anything could have went wrong, anything,”

According to reports, Myers’ car matched the description of a vehicle involved in an armed home invasion Aug. 18. Police knocked out the windows of Myers’ car, looking for three suspects involved in the home invasion. The police report states “the listed vehicle was found unoccupied.”

But police said in an email Wednesday that the home invasion had been made up, stating “the ‘victim’ of the home invasion later told police he fabricated the incident and was arrested for those false accusations.”

The email also states Myers was not arrested for the alleged home robbery nor was he wrongly accused. Police say the 24-year-old was driving recklessly before entering the gas station and later refused to exit the bathroom when he was asked to do so.

Myers is due in court Sept. 18. He faces misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and refusing arrest, but he is hoping the charges will be dropped and he will get an apology.

Copyright 2017 WAWS, WFOX, WJAX via CNN. All rights reserved.