Girl saves family from fire caused by Irma

Girl saves family from fire caused by Irma
Girl saves family from fire caused by Irma
Posted at 6:56 AM, Sep 10, 2017
and last updated 2019-05-22 18:05:57-04

WEST PARK, FL (WSVN/CNN) – Thanks to one little girl, three Florida families made it out of their house when a fire burned a hole through the roof.

Ten adults and five children evacuated their home safely Saturday, and young Janet Smith is the reason why.

Janet says she and her mother were sleeping when she smelled fire. She got out of bed and woke up her mother.

“I smelled smoke… so she told me to go over there and look by the window, and then it was fire,” Janet said.

The little girl and her mother ran through the house to tell everyone to evacuate.

"I had to push my dad because he's a little slow – he has a sore leg, his left leg. He has a sore leg, so I had to push him,” Janet said.

Janet says the families escaped the home just in time.

“Right when everyone was behind me, the glass started breaking down, and it came closer but we got out just in time,” Janet said.

Janet’s cousin called 911, and the fire department responded, putting the blaze out around noon.

“But now our house is gone,” said Janet, before breaking into tears.

An official tweeted that the fire was caused by an electrical issue, indicating it was storm-related.

The Red Cross has responded to the home to help the families.

Copyright 2017 WSVN via CNN. All rights reserved.