EDMOND, OK (KOKH/CNN) – An Oklahoma family learned the hard way that some things turn up in the oddest of places after they took their dog to the veterinarian and learned she had swallowed 21 pacifiers.
Dr. Chris Rispoli has cared for 4-year-old Shar-Pei Dovey since she was a pup, so when her owner brought her in to be examined Wednesday, he was immediately concerned by how much weight the dog had lost in so little time.
"Dad said Grandma had seen her jump up on the counter and grab one of the baby's pacifiers, and they had been missing a lot of pacifiers,” Rispoli said.
An X-ray revealed Dovey knew exactly where those missing pacifiers were – in her stomach – a fact that left her family and even Rispoli in disbelief.
"In 20 years, this is the craziest surgery I've ever done,” Rispoli said. “They were pretty stunned because we thought there were seven to nine in there, and I pulled out 21.”
Rispoli says the unusual case comes with a simple reminder: “put things away.”
“Don't leave them on the countertop,” Rispoli said.
Dovey is ready to return home Friday. She is expected to feel better and gain weight.
Copyright 2017 KOKH via CNN. All rights reserved.