DUMMER, NH (WMUR/CNN) - A young boy in New Hampshire was honored by the fire department for his quick-thinking.
Harrison Holt, 8, became an honorary member of the Milan-Dummer Fire Department after carrying his baby sister to safety when the family's house caught fire.
His father, John, finished cutting the grass and put the lawn mower in the home's attached barn. But about 20 minutes later, it was up in flames.
"I was in the living room and smelled smoke," John Holt said. "By the time I got down there, it was fairly out of control already."
He called for help and handed it to Harrison to handle the call. But as the fire spread, Harrison had to get out of the house and carried his sister with him to an oak tree the family had practiced meeting under in the case of an emergency.
"He had her in one arm and the phone in the other, just chatting to 911," John Holt said.
Fire chief Bud Chapman said it's a perfect example of why they emphasize being prepared.
"Exit drills in the home," Chapman said. "Use smoke detectors, practice it, make sure the children are familiar with it."
The fire destroyed the family's house, but they plan to rebuild on the same property.
Copyright 2017 WMUR via CNN. All rights reserved.