INDEPENDENCE, IA (KCRG/CNN) - A referee started having a heart attack at an Independence High School Basketball game a few weeks ago.
When onlookers saw the referee go down, the athletic trainer and someone on the other team's side went into the hallway and got out the AED."
it was pretty shocking, you know, to have an official go down," activities director Justin Putz said "There's no doubt the early AED usage and the CPR usage saved his life.'
An Automated External Defibrillator is something that people use to shock someone's heart. After seeing it first-hand, the school is now buying a few more AEDs to put in other key areas around the school.
And they’re making sure the used one is working again.
"And one thing I learned from this process, too, is after you use it, we did have to get pads replaced over the weekend," Putz said.
Copyright 2018 KCRG via CNN. All rights reserved.