Sports

Actions

Sexual Assault Case Dropped Against Former University Of Florida Quarterback

Posted: 10:27 PM, Oct 17, 2016
Updated: 2016-10-17 22:27:00-04
Sexual Assault Case Dropped Against Former University Of Florida Quarterback

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - On October 5th, Orlando Police confirmed that former University of Florida quarterback Chris Leak was under investigation after an alleged sexual assault of a sixteen year old girl.

Last week, Leak hired Tallahassee attorney Tim Jansen to defend him. Jansen represented former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston in 2013 during an alleged sexual battery incident. 

As of Monday, there is nothing more to defend, as the case was dropped. Jansen was informed Monday that Orlando police had closed the case as the accuser and her guardian said they did not want to press charges.

"The bad thing is, even though you're cleared, there are no charges, a person with that high of a profile, the mere allegation has tarnished, or left some people, wondering," said Jansen Monday. "He's going to have to assure people, like always, he's never done anything wrong."

Leak was never formally charged, and denied all allegations made against him. Leak stepped down as head football coach at Edgewater High School in Orlando after the allegations were made, but now that everything is closed, Jansen said Leak and his family are ready to move on.

"When this thing happened, he wanted to really focus on himself, getting to clear these allegations," he said. "He's never been in trouble before, never been a hint of any allegations, so he didn't want to take away from the players and the year they were having, so he resigned from the position. He's relived it's over. He's disappointed that the allegations, which he believes were false came forward, but like everybody, we all move forward in our lives."