TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 38 Florida State women’s tennis team picked up its first two wins of the 2013 season on Tuesday against Troy and Florida A&M at the Indoor Tennis Facility.
“Today was a great start to the season,” head coach Jennifer Hyde said. “We came out strong in doubles for both matches and we competed hard. The ladies took care of business . They put in their work and they didn’t lose focus which is exactly what we wanted to do today. I was very proud of their efforts today.”
In their first match, the Seminoles took down Troy 6-1 before following with another 6-1 winning performance against the Rattlers.
Against Troy, the Seminoles secured the doubles point. Senior Amy Sargeant paired up with sophomore Mia Vriens and defeated Karoline Grymel and Lyubov Dorofeeva 8-4, while senior Francesca Segarelli and junior Kristina Schleich held on to win their match 8-6 against Hannah Toro and Anja Cosovic.
Sargeant showed her dominance on court three as she defeated Dorofeeva 6-0, 6-1 in her first career match in the third position.
Segarelli won her first match of the day against Grymel 6-3, 6-1 at number one before Schleich clinched the match for the Seminoles against Candela Munoz 6-1, 6-4.
“It was great to get back out there today,” Segarelli said. “It was unbelievable to play number one, but as long as I’m playing I’m happy. It’s going to be a great season, I can feel it.”
Sophomore Leyla Erkan fought off Cosovic for a 7-5, 6-2 win on court four. Vriens would close out the match for the Seminoles with the sixth point, defeating Toro 7-6, 6-3.
Less than an hour later, the Seminoles took the court against the Rattlers and showed their dominance in doubles with a pair of 8-0 wins. Segarelli and Sargeant defeated Bethany Holt and Victoria Townsend on court one while Vriens and Erkan paired up to beat Alexis Dean and Victoria Williams out of court two.
Segarelli was pleased with her performance as she defended court one with a 6-0, 6-0 win against Holt, while Erkan defeated Shani Williams on court five 6-0, 6-0.
“It was great to see everyone doing their jobs today,” Segarelli said. “I looked around and everyone was on it. It was great to see.”
Schleich would pick up her second win in her spring Garnet and Gold debut at number four against Elysia Ortiz, 6-1, 6-0. Vriens followed and defeated Dean on court two 6-1, 6-0.
Sargeant finished out the day taking her second victory on court three 6-0, 6-0 against Townsend.
The Seminoles will gear up for the UCF Tournament in Orlando, Fla. this weekend. Matches will start at 10 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday before moving to 9 a.m. on Monday. Florida State will face UCF, Iowa and Furman throughout the weekend. Check back to Seminoles.com, Twitter (FSU_wtennis) and Facebook for more information.
FSU vs. Troy
1. Sargeant / Vriens def. Grymel/Dorofeeva 8-4
2. Segarelli / Schleich def. Toro/Cosovic : 8-6
3. Troy wins by default.
1. No. 73 Francesca Segarelli def. Grymel 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 48 MIA Vriens def. Hannah Toro 7-6, 6-3
3. No.100 Amy sargeant def. Iyubov Dorofeeva 6-0, 6-1
4. Leyla Erkan def. Anja Cosovic 7-5, 6-2.
5. Kristina Schleich def. Ramirez-Vega 6-1, 6-4
6. Troy wins by default.
- Segarelli/ Sargeant def. Holt/Townsend: 8-0
- Vriens/Erkan def. Dean/ V.Williams: 8-0
- Florida A&M wins by default.
1. No. 73 Francesca Segarelli def. Bethany Holt: 6-0, 6-0
2. No. 48 Mia Vriens def. Alexis Dean: 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 100 Amy Sargeant def. Symone Townsend: 6-0, 6-0
4. Kristina Schleich def. Elysia Ortiz: 6-1, 6-0
5. Leyla Erkan def. Shani Williams: 6-0, 6-0
6. Florida A&M wins by default.