TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Ashley Wilson scored 19 points and Chelsea Nelson added 17 to help North Carolina State beat No. 6 Florida State 70-61 on Monday night, snapping the Seminoles' 12-game winning streak.
The Wolfpack (12-3, 2-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) trailed 49-46 going into the fourth quarter before going on a 10-3 run to take the lead. Nelson scored seven points in the quarter. Wilson made all 14 of her free throws as the Wolfpack were 20 of 25 from the line.
Miah Spencer added 12 points for North Carolina State, which has defeated top-10 teams in back-to-back games for the first time since 2007. The Wolfpack ended Notre Dame's 35-game ACC winning streak last Thursday.
Leticia Romero scored 20 points for Florida State (13-2, 1-1), which lost for the first time since a two-point defeat to top-ranked UConn on Nov. 14. Their 12-game winning streak ties a school record with the 2004-05 squad.
POST-GAME NOTES BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
· The Seminoles entered tonight’s game with the sixth-longest win streak in the nation.
· FSU’s 70-61 defeat to NC State is a rare home loss in ACC play. The Seminoles had won 16 of their last 17 conference games at the Donald L. Tucker Center.
· Senior point guard Leticia Romero has led FSU in scoring in four straight games and five of the last six. She delivered 20 points (7-of-17), her fourth 20-point game of the year and sixth of her career.
· Romero tacked on four more 3-point field goals, shooting 4-of-7 for the contest. Over the last four games she has shot 16-of-25 from downtown.
· Senior guard Brittany Brown registered three assists to just two turnovers, the 13th time in 15 games she has generated a positive assist/turnover ratio.
· Junior center Chatrice White added 12 points and seven rebounds, including 10 key first-half points.
· FSU’s 10-point deficit with 27 seconds remaining in the game was its largest of the season.
· For just the second time this season, the Seminoles were outscored in the paint 24-20. However, FSU held large advantages in second-chance points (17-5) and bench points (17-9).
· Monday’s loss snaps FSU’s five-game win streak vs. North Carolina-based ACC schools.
· NC State out-scored FSU 24-12 in the fourth period and shot 58.3 percent (7-of-12) in the frame after trailing 49-46 through three periods.
· Senior forward Ivey Slaughter recorded a season-high 12 rebounds in the loss.
· The Seminoles went 7-of-7 from the free throw line, but had far less free throw attempts compared to the Wolfpack (20-of-25).
· FSU out-rebounded the opposition for the 13th time in 15 games this season.