TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — The Florida High football team was supposed to open their season last week but, as they got ready to board the bus, the Department of Health called to recommend they not travel to Taylor County as planned.
It was a situation head coach Jarrod Hickman called tough. They were in game mode.
The Seminoles have been trying to do everything right to give themselves the chance to play while fighting through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hickman said the team has responded well to the disappointment. Their next game is set for September 18 and until then it's business as usual.
They're planning to play, although after last week they know anything can happen.
"As much as I want to be able to look them in the eye and say this isn't going to happen again, we don't know," said Hickman. "Something could happen. We were prepared for that, we just weren't necessarily prepared for feeling like we were good to go and everything was in a good place, and all of a sudden it wasn't. That's the hard thing. If something were to happen with the number of cases and we're aware and those things and we don't think it's safe. We both thought we were good to go and then it wasn't."
The team will travel to Gainesville for the Sept. 18 game against P.K. Yonge.