ATLANTA, Ga. (SEMINOLES.COM) — The No. 14 Florida State softball team (7-3, 4-2) lost to No. 15 Virginia Tech (7-2, 4-2) Sunday, 6-0, in the final game of the ACC Pod.
Florida State 0, Virginia Tech 6
Kathryn Sandercock started and pitched 3.2 innings for the Noles in the circle as she allowed three hits and two runs.
With two outs in the fourth inning, Danielle Watson entered the game in relief for her sixth appearance of the season. She would only throw 0.2 innings, allowing three runs with two strikeouts. Emma Wilson would finish off the game for Florida State, pitching 1.2 innings allowing one run with three strikeouts.
Sandercock had it rolling in the first three innings, facing the minimum of nine batters. In the fourth, the Virginia Tech offense got rolling as they scored two runs on two hits, including a double to right field and a single to the shortstop.
In the bottom of the fifth, Virginia Tech scored four more runs on two home runs, a three-run home run by Cameron Fagan and a solo shot by Grace Chavez.
Florida State would have their best chance with the bases loaded in the top of the sixth inning with two outs and Kiersten Landers up to bat. She would send one to the warning track in right field but it would be caught up against the wall.
- B4 | A double to right field by Jayme Bailey scored Kelsey brown from third. (Florida State 0, Virginia Tech 1)
- B4 | A single to the shortstop by Darby Troll scored Jayme Bailey with two outs (Florida State 0, Virginia Tech 2)
- B5 | With one out Cameron Fagan hit a three-run home run. (Florida State 0, Virginia Tech 5)
- B5 | Grace Chavez hit a solo home run to centerfield (Florida State 0, Virginia Tech 6)
From Head Coach Lonni Alameda:
“It was a tough loss today. I liked the fight that we showed. Virginia Tech is a good ball club and I am very excited about growing and moving forward. It was a long week of softball but we will get back to getting after it and we will get ready for next week’s Unconquered Invitational.”
- The Noles have shown their speed on the bases this season, recording 27 stolen bases in 10 games this season. Devyn Flaherty leads the Noles with seven stolen bases.
Florida State hosts the Unconquered Invitational next weekend, February 26-28. The Seminoles are scheduled to play Florida Gulf Coast on Friday, February 26 and FGCU and Southeast Louisiana on Saturday, February 27.
Follow Florida State softball on Twitter (@FSU_Softball) and Instagram (fsusoftball), and like our Facebook page (Facebook.com/FSUsoftball) to keep up to date with everything about Seminole softball.