TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (Seminoles.com) — The No. 6 Florida State softball team (35-8-1) split its two games against NC State (25-19) on Saturday. The Seminoles earned a 6-1 win in game one before falling to the Wolfpack 5-2 in game two.
NC State 1, No. 6 Florida State 6
Kathryn Sandercock started for the Seminoles and earned her 19th win of the season as she pitched 6.1 innings, allowing just three hits and one unearned run.
Emma Wilson entered to pitch for Florida State in the top of the sixth with one out. She allowed just one hit.
The Florida State offense was led by extra-base hits as the Seminoles recorded four doubles and a triple. Cassidy Davis scored two runs on two extra-base hits, a double and a triple.
NC State took an early 1-0 lead after the top of the first inning. An error and a pair of singles scored Tatyana Forbes for the Wolfpack. That ended up being NC State’s only run during game one.
Florida State instantly took back the lead with three runs of their own in the bottom half of the first inning. Sydney Sherrill singled through the right side and then stole second. Five pitches later, Kalei Harding sent her home with a double through the left side.
Cassidy Davis earned her third career triple and first of the season to score Harding just a couple of pitches later, giving FSU its first lead of the game. Two batters later, Josie Muffley singled up the middle, scoring Davis.
In the third inning, FSU scored on a passed ball and in the fourth inning, the Seminoles put the game out of reach with two more runs. Both runs in the fourth inning were scored on doubles from Dani Morgan and Elizabeth Mason.
- T1 | Morris singled to center field, scoring Forbes. (NC State 1, Florida State 0)
- B1 | Kalei Harding doubled through the left side, scoring Sydney Sherrill (NC State 1, Florida State 1)
- B1 | Cassidy Davis tripled, scoring Sydney Sherrill. (NC State 1, Florida State 2)
- B1 | Josie Muffley singled up the middle, scoring Cassidy Davis. (NC State 1, Florida State 3)
- B3 | Cassidy Davis scored on a passed ball. (NC State 1, Florida State 4)
- B4 | Dani Morgan doubled to left center, scoring Devyn Flaherty. (NC State 1, Florida State 5)
- B4 | Elizabeth Mason doubled to left center, scoring Dani Morgan. (NC State 1, Florida State 6)
NC State 5, No. 6 Florida State 2
Danielle Watson threw a complete game with nine strikeouts. She did allow 10 hits and five runs.
NC State jumped out early with a leadoff triple in the first inning by Sam Russ. She scored two pitches later after Tatyana Forbes singled to left field. A sacrifice fly by Logan Morris scored Forbes and made it 2-0.
Florida State tied it up at two in the third inning after three straight hits to start the inning. Kaia LoPreste led off the inning with a single to second base. Devyn Flaherty then doubled putting runners on second and third with no outs for Dani Morgan. She hit a high fly ball to right field that got lost in the sun. It resulted in a double and two runs for the Noles.
The Wolfpack took back the lead one inning later with a two-run fourth. NC State earned three straight two-out hits to take a 4-2 lead. They then extended the lead to 5-2 in the top of the seventh with a solo home run to right field.
- T1 | Forbes singled to left field, scoring Russ. (NC State 1, Florida State 0)
- T1 | Morris hit a sacrifice fly to left field, scoring Forbes. (NC State 2, Florida State 0)
- B3 | Dani Morgan doubled to right field, scoring Devyn Flaherty and Kaley Mudge (NC State 2, Florida State 2)
- T4 | Farricker doubled down the left-field line, scoring Forbes and Russ (NC State 4, Florida State 2)
- T7 | Rizzi homered to right field (NC State 5, Florida State 2)
From Head Coach Lonni Alameda:
“Four game series are always tough and the doubleheader on Saturday is especially tough. I am really proud of Kat and the bats coming out in game one and just splitting the day. It is always a tough and emotional day but this is why we play a series. We are going to make some adjustments come back and be stronger tomorrow on senior day while we celebrate five incredible seniors who have given a lot to this program.”
Florida State and NC State wrap up the series tomorrow at 12 pm on ACCNX. Florida State is celebrating their five seniors for senior day.
Follow Florida State softball on Twitter (@FSU_Softball) and Instagram (fsusoftball), and like our Facebook page (Facebook.com/FSUsoftball) to keep up to date with everything about Seminole softball.