TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Imani Wright scored 22 points, Shakayla Thomas and AJ Alix had double-doubles and No. 13 Florida State used a big first quarter to turn back Arizona State 77-66 on Sunday.
Thomas had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Seminoles (10-0) and Alix 14 points with 11 assists. Imani had her fourth 20-point game and with three 3-pointers reached 100 for her career. FSU is 10-0 for the third time ever, and two shy of its best start ever.
Reili Richardson led the Sun Devils (7-3) with a career-high 18 points, Robbi Ryan added 15 and Kianna Ibis 11 with nine rebounds.
Alix had the first five points of the game as the Seminoles jumped on to an 8-0 lead and made three free throws with 41 seconds left for a 27-11 lead after one quarter. ASU cut it to 46-37 at the half but a 10-2 run late in the third quarter helped Florida State to a comfortable 65-51 lead entering the fourth quarter.
A 3 and layup by Ryan got the Sun Devils within eight early in the fourth quarter but an 0 for 5 dry spell over 3:07 late stopped the threat.
The defensive minded teams came into the game allowing 53.6 (ASU) and 57.6 points (FSU).
• Shakayla Thomas posted her 13th career double-double, tying for the 17th-most in program history. AJ Alix’s double-double via points and assists was her second of the season.
• Ten of Thomas’ 15 points against the Sun Devils came in the second half.
• Alix’s 11 assists tied for the sixth-most in a game in FSU history. She already has three games this season with 11+ assists.
• Imani Wright’s nine made field goals are a career high at FSU.
• For an opponent that was strong in the post, FSU dominated inside. The Seminoles out-scored Arizona State 40-16 in points in the paint.
• Against one of the nation’s stronger defenses, FSU managed to shoot 49.2 percent (31-of-63) overall. This included a third quarter where it went 8-of-15 (53.3 percent).
• FSU’s 10 fast-break points marked the fifth time it has recorded 10+ points in transition.
• Florida State’s 46 first-half points against Arizona State bested the previous season high by a Sun Devils’ opponent, which was 32 by Buffalo.
• In her 45th game, Imani Wright recorded her 100th 3-point field goal made as a Seminole. The previous fastest was Tanae Davis-Cain recorded her 100th 3 in her 76th game at FSU. Wright tops her mark by 31 games – an entire season.
• With Arizona State known for their defensive prowess, FSU averaged 1.1 points per possession and had a 51.4 scoring percentage.
• FSU and Arizona State played each other for the third time over FSU’s last 80 games, with FSU winning the NCAA Sweet 16 matchup in 2014-15, and Arizona State winning the game in Tempe in 2015-16.
• FSU’s 10-0 start to the season is its best start since 2009-10. The best start to a season in program history is 12-0 in 2004-05.