MICCOSUKEE, FL (WTXL) - The small community of Miccosukee can be found in northeast Leon County.
Miccosukee was first settled by members of the Seminole nation during the 18th century. The town became a center for cotton plantations during the 1800s. In 1897, the Concord School House was built, becoming one of the first public schools for African American children in Leon County.
The earliest record of the school dates back to school board minutes from 1878. The Leon County school board donated the building to the Tallahassee Museum in 1969, when segregation ended in public schools.
Museum staff say the building played a pivotal role in the development of education in Leon County.
The school yard where the building originally was located now serves as a county park. Before the Concord School house was built, artifacts show that students and teachers met in the Miccosukee AME church.