SEATTLE - A woman has filed a lawsuit against Chipotle, claiming she contracted an E.coli infection after eating a burrito bowl Oct. 21 at a Chipotle restaurant in Vancouver.
Charmaine Mode from Kelso, Washington, filed the lawsuit Tuesday through Minneapolis law firm PritzkerOlsen in U.S. District Court in Western Washington. Documents say she sought treatment Oct. 27 after falling ill on Oct. 25 with nausea, severe diarrhea and other symptoms.
Three people in the Portland area and 19 people in western Washington have gotten sick with E. coli as of Friday. Seventeen of them had eaten at a Chipotle restaurant during the past few weeks. Eight people have been hospitalized but no deaths have been reported.
The official count of people sickened remained at 22 on Monday afternoon, but doctors say about a dozen more people are being tested for the illness in Washington.
Health officials are aggressively searching for more cases and are trying to find out what the restaurants connected with the outbreak have in common.