VALDOSTA, Ga. (WTXL) - The City of Valdosta and the Valdosta-Lowndes Parks and Recreation Authority (VLPRA) wants to make sure you keep cool this week.
They have opened the doors to some City facilities to get out of the heat and get a cool drink of water.
The Mathis City Auditorium, at 2300 N. Ashley Street, and the VLPRA Mildred M. Hunter Community Center, at 509 S. Fry Street, will be available during normal hours of operation to the elderly, those who are living in circumstances with no air conditioning, or anyone needing relief from the heat. Mathis City Auditorium will be opened from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday, and the VLPRA Mildred Hunter Center will be opened until 6 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, and until 5 p.m. on Friday.
These facilities will be open for the remainder of the week, as well as any other time the heat index tops 100 degrees.
They also offered these tips to stay safe in the hot weather:
- Stay in an air-conditioned indoor location
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing and sunscreen.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully.
- Pace yourself.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Check on a friend or neighbor and have someone do the same for you.
- Do not leave children (or pets) in cars.
- Check the local news for health and safety updates.