News

Actions

Trion Fatal Fire

fire (generic)
Posted at 7:54 PM, Nov 10, 2014
and last updated 2014-11-20 09:43:50-05

TRION, Ga. (AP) - State fire officials say two people have died in an accidental house fire in northwest Georgia.

Georgia Safety Fire and Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says 22-year-old Christian Pruitt and his 50-year-old uncle Fladio Cornejo Lopez were killed when a fire tore through their home in Trion Monday morning. Authorities say their bodies are being sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in DeKalb County for autopsies.

Hudgens' spokesman Glen Allen says investigators have linked the fire to a space heater that had an electrical malfunction. Allen says investigators didn't find any evidence of working smoke detectors inside the home.

Hudgens says Georgia has now recorded 94 fire fatalities in 2014. Hudgens also urges Georgians to make sure they have working smoke detectors in their homes.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.