The Front Porch Restaurant Closed After Small Fire

The Front Porch Restaurant Closed After Small Fire
Posted at 11:31 AM, Jun 09, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-09 14:34:53-04

TALLAHASSEE, FL (#WTXLDigital) - The Front Porch in Tallahassee is temporarily closed after a small fire according to a post on the restaurant's Facebook page.

They posted this information Monday morning saying, "Good morning Tallahassee! We are very sad to announce that our beautiful restaurant suffered a small fire last week and we will be temporarily closed until further notice. Please continue to check back, as our Facebook page will be updated when we have a re-opening day in sight. We appreciate your loyal patronage and can't wait to serve you all again soon!"

The Tallahassee Fire Department responded to the incident and according to their report, the fire happened Saturday, May 30, before 9 p.m.

The fire was out and the restaurant had been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived according to the department.

The cause of the fire was the malfunction of a small butane burner; the fuel from the burner was hot enough that it activated the sprinkler head above it, says the fire department.

The report shows that there was $35,000 worth of damage to the restaurant even though fire fighters say there was no actual fire damage to the structure of the building. All damage was caused by the sprinkler system activating.

Fire fighters say that the restaurant cannot open again without an inspection.

An employee of The Front Porch said the fire was on the second floor of the building and the restaurant will be closed for at least a month and a half.