TALLAHASSEE, FL (WTXL) -- As temperatures cool down, the chance of having an electrical fire in your home goes up.
That's why the Tallahassee Fire Department is asking residents to keep an eye on their homes during the holiday season.
"We've come to live with electricity every day, and we've got to do that safely," said Captain Mike Bellamy.
This warning comes after another electrical fire damaged a Tallahassee home Tuesday afternoon. The department says seasonal appliances like space heaters add to that risk.
"All of those appliances are representing a burden on your electrical system, so if your system's not up to snuff, then you're going to have a problem," Bellamy said.
In the last couple weeks, the department has responded to multiple electrical fires in homes.
"We had a couple of bad breakers, and those need to get checked out, and if they're not, they're going to result in a fire," Bellamy said.
TFD contained a recent electrical fire at a Woodville home within minutes, but the damage to the property was an estimated $50,000. The department says there are ways to prevent fires like that from happening.
"Always use those extension cords as a temporary solution," Bellamy said. "Often times, people used them as a permanent solution. We see fires in that regard."
And with the holidays coming up, the department says you should consider your home's appliances if you're plugging in lights.
"No more than three strips of Christmas lights plugged in together," Bellamy said. "We always just want to plug one heating appliances to each outlet."
The department says following these guidelines will keep homes safer and smarter - no matter what time of year.