TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - The Tallahassee Fire Department said no one was injured in a home fire on the northwest side of town on Thursday.
Firefighters say the fire happened on the 800 block of Delaware Street near Woodward Avenue in Tallahassee at 7:03 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the attic, along with heavy fire coming from the right and left sides of the structure.
After distinguishing the fire within minutes, they decided that it started in the fireplace and extended to the chimney and ignited the attic. Damages are estimated at $70,000.
Red cross is assisting the family.
The fire will place the first red bulb on the wreath in the Tallahassee Fire Department's "Keep the Wreath Green" program.
MOBILE USERS: Download our WTXL news app on your Apple and Android devices for the latest from South Georgia and North Florida. Also, download our WTXL Weather Now app for Apple and Android devices to get the latest local weather wherever you go.
Copyright 2017 WTXL via Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.