News

Actions

TFD: Faulty air conditioning unit causes $40K damage to Tallahassee home

Fire 1
Posted at 2:59 PM, Dec 11, 2012

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- A fire at the 1400 block of Jay Bird Lane caused an estimated $40,000 worth of damage to a Tallahassee home, according to fire officials.

Firefighters responded to the fire at about 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday, December 11. When they arrived, they were met with heavy smoke and discovered a fire underneath the residence. Once they put that fire out, they noticed that it didn't stop there -- it extended through the air conditioning ducts and into the attic.

Firefighters extinguished the rest of the blaze and determined that everyone inside the house had been evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Officials say they believe the fire started in a faulty air conditioning unit.