News

Actions

TFD: Cautioning Generator Usage and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Tallahassee Fire Department
Posted at 11:46 AM, Sep 04, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-04 07:50:42-04

TALLAHASSEE, FL. (WTXL)-- Tallahassee Fire Department is cautioning safety while using generators in the Tallahassee Area as power remains to be out for several citizens.

TFD is warning residents of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. They say that there have been several calls in just a few days of residents breathing poisoned air.

The department says, Generators are typically run on gas and whenever there is burning fuel, that fuel can release Carbon Monoxide. This is the number one silent killer and those depending on generators to keep the lights on must take proper precaution to stay safe, says TFD Captain Luther McClellan.

Captain McClellan says people need to read the instructions and put the generator away form the house in a ventalated area.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, and vomiting. These can also effect pets.

TFD is encouraging anyone with Generators to use detectors and they recommend you change your batteries regulary while being sure to double check them before any major natural disaster.