Tallahassee woman's iPhone 'implodes' at AMC Theater

phone implodes
phone implodes
Posted at 5:38 PM, Nov 20, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-20 14:03:22-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - It was a close call for a Capital City woman after her phone started melting while she was at the movies.

Ashley Washington just bought her iPhone 7 plus from T-Mobile two months ago.

She was at the AMC Theater in Tallahassee Friday night when the phone fell between two seats. When she reached down to grab it, she realized it was smoking.

"I thought it was going to catch fire! It was smoking pretty bad, so I thought it was going to catch fire," said Washington. "My initial thought was like, Lord I'm gonna be the person that catches fire to the theater."

A T-Mobile representative told Washington her phone's battery actually imploded.

Apple has asked Washington to send her phone in so they can investigate how this happened, and she says Apple will not give her a replacement until its complete. That process could take up to three weeks.