Tallahassee man drives on three wheels while fleeing from police

Tallahassee man drives on three wheels while fleeing from police
Posted at 8:00 AM, Dec 14, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-14 07:15:31-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Fleeing from police, a Tallahassee man on crack cocaine rammed a police cruiser and drove his car on three wheels with the rim sparking before he was tased and arrested.

Stanley Eugene Bass, 50, was booked into the Leon County Detention Center on Wednesday after Tuesday's incident.

He remained in jail Thursday on $31,000 bond. He faces charges of aggravated battery on an officer or firefighter, fleeing from a law enforcement officer, reckless driving, resisting an officer, false imprisonment of an adult and simple assault on an officer. 

Bass began driving erratically after he "hit a piece of crack," a passenger from the vehicle, described by police as a victim, told police.

The victim said she begged Bass to let her leave the car, but he held her arm and would not let go, causing her to fear for her life.

The victim escaped from the car when Bass drove into the Ray's Mini Mart at the corner of Lake Bradford and Levy Avenue.  There Bass drove his car into the rear of a pursuing patrol car. 

And then Bass drove away with a patrol car pursuing him.  

After his arrest, in an interview at a hospital, Bass said he had smoked cocaine that day, according to a probable cause affidavit. 

He said he was aware he had fled from police while their lights and sirens were on, police wrote in a court document that noted Bass had waived his Miranda rights. 

Bass said he had no recollection of swerving toward an officer's patrol car or hitting it. 

An initial call from a police dispatcher said Bass was driving his car in the wrong lane and swerving across the road, the document said. It was unclear from the court document how Bass came to be driving a car with a blown out front left tire. 

Officers began seeking Bass near the intersection of Jackson Bluff Road and South Lipona Road at 7:21 p.m. Tuesday.

Shortly afterward, Bass rammed a police vehicle, the court document said, and officers began pursuing his car.

The pursuit came to an end when Bass drove his car through a fence at Glen Hollow Apartments and then into a tree. 

Bass exited from his car and ran toward officers while "yelling and acting erratic," an officer wrote.

One officer tased Bass, and then two officers gained control of him and handcuffed him, the document said.

MOBILE USERS: Download our WTXL news app on your Apple and Android devices for the latest from South Georgia and North Florida. Also, download our WTXL Weather Now app for Apple and Android devices to get the latest local weather wherever you go. 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for additional local news and hourly updates.

Copyright 2017 WTXL via Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.