News

Actions

Tallahassee community observes Homeless Person's Remembrance Day

Tallahassee community observes Homeless Person's Remembrance Day
Posted at 5:07 PM, Dec 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-12-21 13:27:31-05

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Today is Homeless Person's Remembrance Day, a day for all to remember homeless members of the community who have passed away.

Homelessness is a problem that cannot be overlooked, not only here in Florida and south Georgia, but also throughout the country.

According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 2016, single individuals made up 65 percent of the homeless population. Families made up the other 35 percent.

Almost 40,000 veterans were considered to home homeless that same year. Only two thirds of them were in a shelter or housing program.

Five states, California, New York, Texas, Florida, and Washington made up more than half of the homeless population in 2016, with Florida accounting for six percent of the total.

To honor this day, the Kearney Center is holding a local remembrance ceremony for the many homeless people who die each year. Jennifer Meyer's was live at the center.