Tallahassee apartment fire injures one

tallahassee fire department
Posted at 2:54 PM, Mar 19, 2014
and last updated 2014-03-19 11:04:30-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - At approximately 5:47 p.m. on Tuesday, March 18, 2014, a fire broke out at an apartment on the 600 block of Mark Drive in Tallahassee.

The Tallahassee Fire Department (TFD) arrived on scene and crews say they saw heavy smoke coming from the building. Firefighters went into the apartment and found fire in the kitchen. The quickly put it out before it spread.

Brett Tillotson, a spokesperson for TFD says the one person at home at the time of the fire was rescued by a neighbor who pulled her outside to the fresh air. Tillotson says she suffered from smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital by Leon County Emergency Medical Services.

TFD says the fire appears to be cooking related. Damages are estimated at $20,000.