TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL)--Teens can soon take part in late night fun at community centers across Tallahassee.
Splash & Jam has become a component of Operation Safe Neighborhoods, a plan city leaders unveiled Tuesday to cut down on violence in the city and to give children more options to enjoy their summer in a safe way.
The Splash & Jam program starts Friday and will take place every Friday through August 14 from 7-9 p.m. You can enjoy pool games, food, and music at a family-style pool party at different community centers each week. The Palmer-Munroe Teen Center doesn't have a pool, but water activities will be available. Splash & Jam started in 2011.
Here is a full schedule of this year’s events:
· June 5 at the Walker-Ford Community Center, 2301 Pasco Street. Teen activity theme is Wear All White Party.
· June 12 at the Jack McLean Community Center, 700 Paul Russell Road. Teen activity theme is Pumps and Polos.
· June 19 at Walker-Ford. Teen activity theme is Red Carpet Affair.
· June 26 at the Lawrence-Gregory Community Center, 1115 Dade Street. Teen activity theme is Skate Party.
· July 10 at Jack McLean. Teen activity theme is Fun in the Sun.
· July 17 at Lawrence-Gregory. Teen activity theme is Sweets n Treats.
· July 24 at Walker-Ford. Teen activity theme is Glow in the Dark.
· July 31 at Palmer Munroe Teen Center, 1900 Jackson Bluff Road. Teen activity theme is Back to the Beach.
· August 7 at Jack McLean. Teen activity theme is Wear All Black Party.
· August 14 at Lawrence-Gregory. Teen activity theme is Light It Up.
After each pool party wraps up, teens will be invited to a party inside the community center. The teen parties will take place from 9-11 p.m. and are geared toward middle and high school students. Teens can listen to live music from a deejay, and refreshments will also be available. Teens are encouraged to dress according to the theme of the party, but it's not required.
The events will be monitored by adults, city staff and police officers.
"It is more important than ever that the City, with help from the community, offer fun and safe activities for our young people," said Mayor Andrew Gillum. "I’m looking forward to attending Splash & Jam events this summer because I enjoy seeing our area youth thrive when they have constructive, safe opportunities to socialize in a wholesome environment. As a community, we must continue to provide these types of opportunities, especially during the summer when they have more leisure time."