LEON COUNTY, Fla. (WTXL) - Storm-related debris collection in Leon County will begin Saturday.
The debris collection will begin Saturday, October 13 and will continue until all storm-related debris is picked up. Weekend debris removal efforts will focus on the county’s main corridors, schools, and school bus stops in the unincorporated areas.
Starting Monday, October 15, a map of debris collection activities and an update on operations will be available daily at: www.LeonCountyFL.gov/EI/Debris .
Leon County said as residents begin their cleanup, please remember the following tips:
- All debris for collection should be placed curbside between the sidewalk or property line and the curb.
- When possible, leave vegetative debris loose and unbagged at the curb.
- Debris should be separated at the curb from vegetative, construction and demolition, appliances and white goods and electronics, and household hazardous waste.
- Be careful and safe when moving large, bulky storm-related debris to the curb.
- Debris removal trucks will not pick up household garbage; Waste Pro will continue to collect trash and recycling as usual on an adjusted schedule.
- Do not stack or lean debris against sprinkler heads, meters, poles, trees, backflows, and other structures.
For further information on how best to organize debris and how to safely place materials at the curb, please review the included debris disposal guide .
Also, Leon County has extended the free-of-charge period for both the Solid Waste Management Facility and the Rural Waste Service Centers. The facilities will be open their normal hours starting Friday, October 12 and remain free of charge until Sunday, October 21.
The Solid Waste Management Facility (7550 Apalachee Parkway) will be open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Rural Waste Service Centers will be open Fridays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following locations:
- Woodville, 549 Henry Jones Road
- Fort Braden, 2485 East Joe Thomas Road
- Miccosukee, 13051 Miccosukee Road