Shooting at Strozier: Collecting and Counseling

Posted at 12:00 PM, Nov 20, 2014
and last updated 2017-05-30 13:24:39-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Details continue to emerge after three people were shot on the campus of Florida State University.  Classes at FSU have been cancelled on Thursday, and the school is now offering counseling services for all students and faculty.

A chilling warning for hundreds of Florida State University students studying inside the Strozier Library, as an active gunman opened fire on campus.  

"I was just brushing my teeth, getting ready to go to bed and I hear pop, pop, pop, pop," said FSU freshman Nickolai Hernandez.

When officers got to the scene just minutes later, they confronted the suspect on the steps, telling him to put down the weapon. Instead, he shot at the officers, and was killed by officers returning fire.

Witnesses say the gunman was shot 20 to 30 times in the shoot-out, and five officers from both Florida State and Tallahassee Police Departments are on administrative leave.

Law enforcement responded to the scene almost instantly. Both police and students confirmed that it was just a matter of minutes from the time the call came in, to when alerts went out - and police were on FSU's campus.

"I am extremely proud of how the students responded, how the staff and how the men and women officers, even the dispatchers and the communication staff. We all worked together to get on one channel and provide seamless response and support during this extreme time of crisis," said FSU Police Chief David Perry.

Three students were injured in shooting. A bullet grazed one of them, who was treated and released on the scene. Two others are being treated at local hospitals.

For police, the situation may be over but their work just getting started, securing the scene, collecting evidence and talking to witnesses.

But for now, the community is standing FSUnited.

"Today, we are all FSU," said Tallahassee Mayor-Elect Andrew Gillum.

One of the victims is in critical condition at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, while the other is listed in stable condition.