News

Actions

Officials: Candle causes fire resulting in $80K damage, injured firefighter

House fire (generic)
Posted at 8:17 AM, Jul 26, 2013
and last updated 2013-07-26 04:40:37-04

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Tallahassee fire officials say a candle caused a blaze resulting in an injured firefighter, two displaced residents, an estimated $80,000 in damage to a local home.

The house fire happened in the 1000 Block of Keith Street. Firefighters responded to reports of the blaze at 5:14 a.m. on Friday, July 26.  When they arrived, heavy smoke and fire was coming from the home. 

Officials say the two people living in the residence were able to escape before firefighters arrived.  Red Cross was called to help these two displaced individuals, who didn't report any injuries.

However, one firefighter suffered minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. Officials say that he is expected to make a full recovery.