(WTXL) — Health officials are investigating a suspected case of coronavirus in the southern United States.
The Brazos County Health District in Texas says they are investigation after a person returned from a visit to the Wuhan province of China. The coronavirus originated in Wuhan.
Brazos County is the home of Texas A&M University.
This is not the first possible case of coronavirus in the United States. A passenger who landed at Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday night was hospitalized for a precautionary medical evaluation.
According to the CDC, coronavirus can be spread through the air by coughing and sneezing, as well as close personal contact. Symptoms of coronavirus include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and sore throat.
The general public is encouraged to practice general preventive actions:
• Everyone 6 months and older is encouraged to get a flu shot.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
For more information visit the CDC website here.