(WTXL) — A warning has been issued to dog owners against feeding their pets human food that can possibly be deadly.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners that within one hour of ingesting foods that contain the sugar substitute xylitol, dogs can experience vomiting, seizures, tremors and even death.
The FDA said xylitol can be used in baked goods, often because the baker is substituting another sweetener for sugar. According to the FDA, "people can buy xylitol in bulk to bake sweet treats at home. In-store bakeries also are selling baked goods containing the sweetener."
The sweetener may be in other products such as breath mints, mouthwash, toothpaste, and some peanut and nut butters.
Owners are being warned to check if any food or treats given to their dogs contain xylitol.
If you think your dog has eaten xylitol, take him/her to your vet or an emergency animal hospital immediately.
To read the full warning, click here.